10 STATEMENTS I WISH EVERY SOUTH ASIAN PASTOR WOULD SAY
I believe South Asian pastors play an important role in shaping the cultural and spiritual landscape of South Asian Americans. Their words can inspire or discourage the gifts and passions of the next generation.
Unfortunately, I’ve heard my fair share of church horror stories. Stories of pastors abusing their spiritual authority and speaking demeaning words to people. I am sorry that this happens. I wish it didn’t.
But there is hope! I personally know pastors that deeply care for South Asian Americans and their future. Often I hear them speak life, vision, and healing toward young people in their respective churches. They invest their time and energy into the next generation.
Below I’ve listed 10 statements that I wish South Asian pastors would say more often (not in any order):
- “The vision and mission of our church is…”
- “Money is not the solution.”
- “Loving non-Christian South Asians is non-negotiable.”
- “Spiritual Fruit is more important than Spiritual Gifts.”
- “Culture is never an excuse for us to sin!”
- “Grace. It is more than a hymn…”
- “Develop the next-generation at all costs.”
- “Gossip is evil. Stop. Now.”
- “I care about you, I’m proud of you, I believe in you.”
- “I’m sorry, I was wrong…”
I believe most pastors want to say these things. But they are distracted by the daily rigors of their role in the community. They need to be encouraged by you to say the right things.
Pray for your pastor this week. Call them. Send them a quick text message or email. Do it right now if you can. I try to encourage my pastor every week! A few weeks ago, we gave our pastor a fun Valentine’s Day card with cheesy Bible pick-up lines! Haha. I think he and his wife enjoyed it.
Be positive. It will help your pastor be positive too. Influence them to be agents of healing with their words. Let’s make it happen! You are an everyday world changer! Start today!